Thursday, November 12, 2009

World of Warcraft, Level 61


Hey look I...what in the world...I leveled like a million times???

Rather than berate myself for my failure, we'll allow this to serve as an object lesson. Just as some people are allergic to alcohol, some of us are prone to what we can politely call "compulsion" when it comes to certain sorts of games. World of Warcraft seems especially dangerous in this regard, as long as the player doesn't mind the relatively low complexity threshold.

There are definitely those who enjoy leveling who aren't ensnared by WoW - maybe the game design pokes through the world design to a disconcerting degree, like a bone through skin, and they require immersion. Or maybe they've become accustomed to a certain level of difficulty, and can't get the sense of game-accomplishment from weaker stuff. I am not one of these people. I am vulnerable.

It's been a strange couple of weeks. I've allowed myself to fall far enough into an internet game, for a brief period of time at least, that part of me no longer felt part of the actual world. Or if it acknowledged the fact of being such a part, resented it.

That's the Fel Reaver in the background. He's really big, and he'll step on you if you don't run away, and you'll die. Edward is on another planet now. A planet where fel stuff happens. Fel means bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment